PRESS RELEASE NO.: 2019-030
Attention: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
(SNAP, formerly Food Stamp Program) Recipients
The Department of Public Health and Social Services (DPHSS) would like to share some useful information with SNAP recipients regarding the early issuance of February 2019 SNAP benefits.
Ø Due to the partial federal government shutdown:
- SNAP February benefit was issued on January 20, 2019.
- This is your full February 2019 benefit.
- You should treat this early issuance as your February benefit.
- This is not an additional benefit.
- You are encouraged to carefully spend your benefit to make sure it lasts until your next benefit issuance.
- Your benefits will always roll over to the next month.
- You will not lose your benefit issued once loaded into your account.
Ø Can I use my benefits after January and February?
- Yes, currently there is no plan to shut down the retailers or the Point of Sale (POS) devices.
- Your EBT card will continue working in February and throughout the government shutdown.
Ø Will I get SNAP benefits in future months?
- At this time we do not know if SNAP benefits for future months will be available.
Ø What if my case was processed after January 16, 2019?
- Recipients processed after the January 16, 2019 transmission date may receive their February benefits, subject to the availability of funds.
SNAP recipients who have any questions or concerns regarding this information, may call the Bureau of Economic Security within the Division of Public Welfare at 735-7432 / 7433 / 7361.
LINDA UNPINGCO DENORCEY, MPH