PRESS RELEASE NO: 2019-032
CENTERS FOR MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES
NEW APP FOR ORIGINAL MEDICARE
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) launched a new app that gives consumers a modernized Medicare experience with direct access on a mobile device to some of the most-used content on Medicare.gov.
The new “What’s Covered” app lets people with Original Medicare, caregivers and others quickly see whether Medicare covers a specific medical item or service. Consumers can now use their mobile device to more easily get accurate, consistent Original Medicare coverage information in the doctor’s office, the hospital, or anywhere else they use their mobile device. In addition to the “What’s Covered” app, through Blue Button 2.0 the agency is enabling beneficiaries to connect their claims data to applications and tools developed by innovative private-sector companies to help them understand, use, and share their health data.
The app is the newest tool provided by the eMedicare initiative, which was launched by CMS in 2018 to empower beneficiaries with cost and quality information. Other tools in the eMedicare suite include:
- Enhanced interactive online decision support to help people better understand and evaluate their Medicare coverage options and costs between Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
- A new online service that lets people quickly see
- how different coverage choices will affect their estimated out-of-pocket costs.
- New price transparency tools that let consumers compare the national average costs of certain procedures between settings, so people can see what they’ll pay for procedures done in a hospital outpatient department versus an ambulatory surgical center.
- A new webchat option in the Medicare Plan Finder.
- New easy-to-use surveys across Medicare.gov so consumers can continue to tell us what they want.
For more information about Medicare, visit the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) website at www.medicare.gov. Locally accessible assistance to learn more about Medicare is also provided by the Guam Medicare Assistance Program (Guam MAP) within the Division of Senior Citizens (DSC), DPHSS. To schedule an appointment to see a Guam MAP counselor, call DSC at 735-7415 or 735-7421.
LINDA UNPINGCO DENORCEY, MPH