Breastfeeding Peer Counsellors Program

Breastfeeding Peer Counselors Program (BFPCP) is a training and technical assistance project which began in 2004 with the goal of equipping WIC Programs with a framework for designing and maintaining peer counseling programs. In FY 2010, Congress significantly increased BFPCP funding to provide an opportunity for State agencies to further expand the availability of peer counseling in WIC sites and to help FNS achieve its goal to institutionalize peer counseling in WIC as a core service focused on increasing breastfeeding rates among WIC participants. Its goals are as follows:

1. Encourage WIC participants to initiate and continue breastfeeding. 2. Increase referrals to WIC for breastfeeding support. 3. Increase general public acceptance and support of breastfeeding. 4. Provide technical assistance to WIC State and local agency professionals in the promotion of breastfeeding.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination  Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

fax: (202) 690-7442; or


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Skip to content