The Director of the Department of Public Health and Social Services, in coordination with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), would like to inform the public of a recall of Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters, Chocolate & Peanut Butter; Berres Brother Coffee Roasters, Monkey Mocha; and Berres Brothers Coffee Roaster, Lunch with Elvis regular and decaffeinated whole bean and ground coffees because these products may contain an undeclared nut allergen.
This recall was initiated after it was discovered that product containing walnuts was distributed in packaging that did not reveal the presence of walnuts. Subsequent investigation indicates the problem was caused by a temporary breakdown in the company's production and packaging processes. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to walnuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
According to the U.S. FDA, no illnesses have been reported as of 11/15/2012. The affected coffees were distributed throughout the United States and Guam, through grocery stores and mail order.
The following flavors, sizes, and Julian date codes (located and stamped after the UPC Code or on the front of package) are being recalled:
Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters, Chocolate & Peanut Butter Coffee
- Julian Date Codes 12001-12318 (Jan. 1, 2012 thru Nov. 13, 2012)
- 12 oz. (340g) regular whole bean and ground coffee with UPC 746774-003594
- 12 oz. (340g) decaffeinated whole bean and ground coffee with no UPC
- 2.5 oz. ground coffee with no UPC
- 1.5 oz. (42.5g) ground coffee with UPC 746774-00042
- 5 LB bulk regular whole bean coffee with UPC 746774-00499
Berres Brothers Coffee Roasters, Monkey Mocha Coffee
- Julian Date Codes 12271 – 12318 (Sept. 27, 2012 thru Nov. 13, 2012)
- 1.5 oz. (42.5g) ground coffee with UPC 746774-000425
- 5 LB bulk regular whole bean coffee with UPC 746774-00509
Berres Brothers Coffee Roaster, Lunch with Elvis Coffee
- Julian Date Codes 12091 – 12319 (April 1, 2012 thru Nov. 15, 2012)
- 1. 5 oz. (42.5g) ground coffee with UPC 746774-000425
- 12 oz. (340g) regular ground and whole bean coffee with no UPC
- 12 oz. (340g) decaffeinated ground and whole bean coffee with no UPC
- 5LB bulk regular whole bean coffee with UPC 74677400-5093
The Department is advising all food distributors and retailers to remove the affected products from sale or service. Consumers are encouraged to review the labels of their coffee to determine if it is affected by the recall.
The Department has not received any local reports of illnesses associated with any of the affected coffees. Consumers who have purchased any of these coffees are urged to stop using the product immediately and return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
For any questions, consumers are asked to visit www.fda.gov or speak to a customer service representative at 1-800-233-5443 between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM CST Monday through Friday. You may also contact the Division of Environmental Health at 735-7221.
JAMES W. GILLAN